Monday 28 August 2017

Surfing

I recently tried surfing for the first time since my surgery. I was pretty anxious because I didn't know how the bag would cope with all the pressing against the board and whether there would be toilets etc. Turns out surfing is a lot of fun, but I found that it's not exactly easy to do with a stoma. The warm up exercises were the first difficulty; many of the stretches were bending over so, like yoga, this often causes leaks for me. It seemed to be ok until we got in the water and it was less than half an hour in when I could feel the Brava seal that I use was coming lose and there would be a leak onto my skin. The actual bag held up though so there was no 'proper' leaking. During the lunch break I found that there were no toilets on the beach so I took a napkin and headed behind the dunes to find somewhere private-ish. It wasn't as bad as I feared.
Then in the afternoon session I could feel my bag getting full again so headed out of the water and took my wetsuit off and thankfully it was mainly air, so I burped on the beach and went back in. Had to change as soon as I got home.
All in all it wasn't easy but a lot of fun and definitely worth giving it a try. I don't think I'm ever going to be able to become a pro surfer though :(

It's me being a surfer!

No comments:

Post a Comment